Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boredom

Boredom: the state of being weary and restless through lack of interest

That would describe my "state of being" today. I did make a list of things to accomplish at work on this fine Wednesday, (yes, um, they all had to do with my job....) but I'm still just BORED. I think it is not from lack of entertainment, but from the fact that I just want to get out of this situation. I gave my notice four weeks ago, which seems like a really long time to stay somewhere. I only have 11 days left after today, and I'm going to make the best of it, but it is going to take lots and lots of caffeine, web-surfing, office-supply-art-making, day dreaming, and...I don't even know what else, to get me through.

I know what you're thinking, "Come on, Jen, you've made it through 1460 hours of this job and only have 91.5 left. Plus your hair looks really good today, and even though your socks don't match your purse, (or your pants or shoes) they do match each other, nice work. And after December 5th you are totally free to do whatever you want every day. You won't have any income to speak of and you do have two cats to feed and a mortgage to pay, but hey, you won't be bored anymore. So suck it up!"

Okay, okay, you're right (thanks for noticing my hair. And socks, I think.)

In honor of this topic, here is my list of stuff to do when you are so bored you are seriously contemplating getting the name of your deceased gerbil, Mr. Mickbitsy, tattooed on your forehead:
  • Look up that word you used yesterday when you were describing to your parasitologist the hairy thing you noticed, but weren't exactly sure you knew what it meant. The word, not the hairy thing, that's why you were seeing the parasitologist. When I did this I learned that "bucolic" is not a disease you get when you visit Mexico.
  • Name your toes. Since you asked, from left to right, mine are: Brisket, Topper, Flipsy, Dixie, Pooper, Popper, Dominic, Gertrude, Slinky, and Maverick.
  • Plan your dream vacation
  • List all of the people you've _______. Pick a verb. You know, list all the people you've kayaked with, crossed the border illegally with, shared recipes with, swing danced with, made fun of, drawn while naked (them, not you), worked with, bred purebred racing horses with, etc.
  • Try to list all 50 states. Once you've done that, list the ones you've been (arrested) in.
  • Compile a list of your favorite vanity plates and pick one out for yourself. I was thinking "FREE2B" would be a good one for me. Sure beats "PRNCESS".
  • Think of a way to impress your eye doctor with your X-ray vision and laser-beam-shooting eyeballs next time you visit.
  • Invent a new board game involving deep sea creatures, the music library of Leonard Cohen, and lots of diamonds.
  • Send money to someone who really needs it. (I'm pointing to myself, in case you didn't get that part.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First, I have to say your style is very witty. Second, you are perceptive, and third, what a great and funny list of things to do when you are bored.

I'm a motivation coach and I am writing a book about boredom with a psychiatrist and I do a blog on the topic: ThePowerOfBoredom.com where I'd love to quote you if you will give me permission.

To reach me, just go to ThePowerOfBoredom.com and click on Contact.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Letitia Sweitzer
ThePowerOfBoredom.com