Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another Day In Paradise

I am so thankful that I am not at work today. If I hadn't quit my job I'd be back from a long trip and really bummed out to be working all week.

A year ago was my second-to-last day at the historic inn where I spent three years before leaving for the Job of Doom. Every New Year's they'd have a big party with music and food and I'd usually work the front desk that night so I could be part of the celebration. Guests would give me free food, champagne, and the same crowd came year after year; it felt like one big family. I miss that this year, tonight I don't have any plans and I don't even know if I'll stay up until the clock strikes midnight. Usually I would work the morning shift the next day, too, to either wish people a happy new year and a safe trip home or in last year's case, to say goodbye to everyone I'd worked with over the years.

However, tomorrow morning I wake up to...well, nothing. Just me and my choices. I've resolved to write a gratitude journal for the entire year of 2009. I know this will be a great year. I've been blessed, even with the hardships I've encountered, that my last few years have all been wonderful, even if parts of them were painful at the time. Then again, I think it's all in the attitude we have towards things. If you can see a crappy experience as a chance to learn about yourself and grow, then nothing seems too terrible.

Happy New Year!

No comments: