Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Personal Grooming

If there's one thing I love more than all that stuff I named yesterday, it has to be plucking my eyebrows and trimming my nose hair. What does this have to do with office supply art and my quest for inner peace? Not much, but it's the subject of the blog today anyways.

If you know me, you know I have some eyebrows. Everybody has eyebrows, I know. But mine, without semi-hourly trimming are like the browner, female version of Martin Scorsese's. The thing is, I'm not that great at the whole trimming, plucking, torturing, waxing thing.

I try to keep them to two scary brown caterpillars instead of one, but other than that I'm not big into the eyebrow maintenance thing. One time a hairdresser waxed them for me for free because she was so late starting my appointment. They looked great except for the red rash around them that lingered for two days.

Anywho, since I've got so much free time on my hands I decided to do some tweezing yesterday morning. As I was plucking away I noticed that something smelled really funny. Cat food funny. I had forgotten that I was too lazy to find the measuring cup to portion out the cat's dry food a few minutes earlier and instead had used my hands. And neglected to wash them. So now I was performing a very unpleasant task and smelling cat food at the same time.

I pressed on and my eyebrows look a little less scary for the moment. I decided that since I'd done that yesterday maybe today I'd take a stab at trimming my nose hair. The whole time I just kept thinking, "this would be a lot more fun if my hands smelled like cat food." Actually, what I kept thinking was, "Wow, I really hope I don't slip and jam these scissors into my brain. That would be a totally embarrassing way to die." Luckily I survived and now have a few less nose hairs.

Since I was so perfectly groomed, making some more tree art seemed to be the thing to do:

Thank goodness this turned out well, because this is what happened to my bread yesterday:

Before baking

It's 100% whole grain - I knew it wasn't rising like it should, but I hoped that in the heat of the oven it would do a little better.


Can you see how little it rose, even after all that time in the oven?? It didn't even expand to the edges of the pan and it's only a few inches tall! Also, I went to check on it at one point and went to turn off the oven light but apparently turned off the timer instead. When I went back to it I had NO CLUE how long it had been in there, so I just took it out. It's still pretty tasty, just little. Maybe some cat food would have helped?

No comments: