Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Self Portraits

Assignment: Create a self-portrait of yourself out of magazine cuttings. No fair just cutting a picture of Dolly Parton out and sticking it to a piece of newsprint. This is mine:

Wait, that's not actually mine, it's a really freaky picture I took of my cat, Nola. She never stays still long enough for a good pic - I like how her body is still but her head looks like a moving blur. That is sort of like a self portrait of me, though, because lots of times it looks like I'm standing around doing nothing but really my head is full of activity. Usually daydreaming about either some sort of dessert product or a nap. Still, fully of activity.

This is the real one that I spent many, many seconds making:

I wanted to give the impression that I am surrounded by and made up of beautiful things, but I feel that right now I only see half of the picture, one eye is closed to the full beauty of everything around me. However, I'm not sure if I properly conveyed that. I think it looks like I'm maybe winking? Or have something stuck in my eye? See how my mouth is the sunrise? Good, you're very observant. My nose is some sort of leaf, indicating that my sense of smell is very veiny. Here is another one:


Tricked you again! If I show a pic of Nola I should show one of Coconut, too. She's in the closet. Not because she's gay, not that there's anything wrong with that, but because it's warm and snuggly and hard for us to reach her. I'm trying to figure out how I can relate this to my self portrait assignment. Sometimes I feel like crawling into the closet and closing my eyes? That sounds good.

Not sure how to wrap this blog up, I'm out of plastic wrap, so I'm just going to say:

(Nothing)

No comments: