Monday, September 29, 2008

We're All Going to Die!

I had a great weekend. A fantastic weekend, even. I was creative in the kitchen, creative in the whatever room it is you make art in, there was creativity flying all over the place. But what really made my weekend great? Realizing that we're all going to die.

I spent some time both Saturday and Sunday with my mom, and on Saturday she shared with me some info from a book she's reading now...and I wish I could tell you the author and title of that book, but I can't at the moment. It was written by a doctor who says something along the lines of: "We're all going to die. Probably by around 85. You may very well get a disease. You don't need 900 zillion medications and medical tests, you're going to die eventually anyways."

It's not the over-medicating and over-testing stuff that struck me. Instead, it was that we're all going to die!!! It's such a relief to know that no matter what I do in this life, I'm still going to die. Eat an extra chocolate chip cookie? Dying anyways, don't sweat it. Spent longer than I should have reading instead of sleeping last night? I still only have 57 years left. Quit my job while wearing my underwear on my head? Funny and will not change the length of my life.

Why should I spend this time I have on this earth being miserable? Don't get me wrong, I love to exercise and eat a generally healthy diet, I want to feel good until I die, but why am I wasting so much time being miserable and worrying about things that I don't really have to do, just because I want to live up to some standard society has set for me when we're all going to die anyways???

This thought process also seemed to make my mom really happy, and on Sunday she invited me over for an art project. It's another self-portrait collage, similar to what I did a couple of weeks ago, and this time the assignment was to use things you like to make up your face and features and write why you chose the things you did. Here is my mom's, the pic was taken on my cell phone so it's a little blurry:
She hadn't finished hers, but I'd like to point out that on the top of her head there are flames. I think she wrote above it something about her putting flames in her self-portrait because she felt like her brain was on fire...I laughed, perhaps I should be seeking help for her.

Here's mine:

I'd like to point out that both my mom and I, without consulting each other, used windows, actually from the same house (we had doubles of one of the magazines we were using to cut images from), to make our eyes. I thought that was funny. You can't really read the writing, but I described why I picked what I did and then at the bottom wrote about the words I noticed I used over and over again: "Wild, Crazy, Happy". Hmm, I think I need to add more wild and crazy into my current job situation to increase my happiness. Nola thought I needed to add more cat hair:
In case you aren't already horribly impressed, this is what I made in the kitchen this weekend in addition to my artistic explosion:

  • Pumpkin and Honey Muffins (we were supposed to meet a friend but he bailed, Mom and Joe got the brunt of the pumpkin-honey love in this case)
  • Pumpkin Pie (I cooked it longer than the suggested time and it still didn't completely set up. We are eating it anyways, with spoons if we have to)
  • Turkey Meatballs & Tomato Sauce (Anthony loved them and he's Italian. Nuff Said)
  • Veggie Meatballs & Tomato Sauce (why should he have all the fun?)
  • Sunflower & Pumpkin Seed Whole Grain Bread (Haven't gotten into it yet, but the last loaf I made was delicious)

Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it! But my weekend was full of stuff I love and I need to do more of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seriously, girl, you just made me laugh out loud. I'm going to start shoutijng "We're all going to die!" whenever I feel conflicted or frstrated. Maybe you can start making bracelets that say WAGTD, like those WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) bracelets?