Friday, September 5, 2008

Sunrise O'Clock Somewhere

You know the expression/song "It's 5 o'clock somewhere"? Today I was running in the morning, as I have been doing quite regularly for the last month or so, and there was a beautiful sunrise:

How did I get a picture of sunrise as I was running? Luckily the sunrise was still beautiful by the time I finished my run, so I took a picture on my oh-so-advanced cell phone. Which did not, in any way, capture the essense of the sunrise: there were pinks and other colors that I can't remember clearly now, plus the clouds were much more spectacular looking than in this representation.

Anyways, I was so happy to be out there watching the sunrise and I realized "The sun is always rising somewhere!" That means there is always a quiet moment and a sky filled with colors going on sometime, whether I'm there to see it or not. Don't get me wrong, I love 5 o'clock, too, but in that case I'm escaping from something (wearing pants. I mean, work) instead of embracing something. I love my mornings. They are pretty much my favorite time of day.

In case you don't believe me, here is another sunrise photo, this time involving one of my other favorite things, farm animals:

I took this in New Zealand when my friend Christy and I got up early to walk out to the ocean to see some penguins leaving the beach to head to the ocean, but there was some beautiful scenery along the way.
*
Somehow that made me feel a little better and more inspired than I've been feeling the rest of the week. Also, in case you haven't been keeping track, although I'm sure you have, it's been seven weeks since I sent my stuff to Ten Speed and I still haven't gotten a rejection letter.
*
Lastly, I know I haven't been very funny this week, so just in case you're about to jump off a bridge from the lack of laughter in your life, here is a link to an article by Dave Barry that made me laugh so hard I had to keep my legs crossed to keep from wetting myself. Hey, a graphic description is best to get the point across, don't you think?

Have a great weekend and smile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there's nothing like working out early, before everyone else is up, and feeling like you have that time to you and you alone. So glad you got to snap that post-run sunset - you should frame it and put it on your bedside table for inspiration and to remind you of how dedicated you are!