Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ah, New Love

New love. No, I do not have a new boyfriend. Or a new cat. Or a new cable channel. This is a different kind of love. The fresh love of an art form that I haven't attempted since sophomore English class: Haiku. I'm going to be honest, I don't really get haiku. But this impressive verse created by my weekend guest, Emily, has inspired me to try to understand it:

I mean, even after reading the definition, "A Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons," I still don't know if I could ever be bored enough at work to try to write one. Do you hear the crickets? That means I'm bored enough. Here goes:

Office supply art
Cool that it's five syllables
That works out real good
********
It didn't evoke nature, but it's my first attempt. And I'm just going to go ahead and say it will be my only attempt, as poetry is not my strong point.
*****
Emily, thanks for passing on your wonderful poem so that (two) people could read it and enjoy. I know you're at a new job and haven't gotten bored enough to make stuff, but when you do, send it along. And I'm really sorry for the embarrassing poem, above. This is why you went to grad school to study literature, and I went to art school.
*****
Emily also sent along a link to her description of the weekend, here, and a link to a neat story about people using post-it notes for fun (definitely not work-related), here.
*****
Keep up the good work. Don't know who I'm talking to there, probably myself.

No comments: