Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sunshine, Lollipops, Cell Phones, Jolly Ranchers.

My cell phone, my life line. But not for the last two days, as I lost my cell phone charger. For the second time this calendar year. Not this fiscal year, but still. The reasons my phone is so dear to me:
  • It has pictures of my cats on it
  • I use it to take pics of my Office Supply Art to email to myself so I can post them on my blog
  • I know absolutely no one’s phone number, they are all in my phone
  • It’s shiny
  • I don’t have a landline, this is it
  • It’s good for calling AAA when I lock my keys in the truck, have a flat tire, etc,
    which I have needed to do many times, including when I locked my keys in my truck at the grocery store and the manager tried to break into it with a hanger…no dice

Since I can’t take pictures and email them to myself, I thought I’d talk about one of the other things I love about my job…the Muzac/Music/Muzic. There is a PA system where I work and the stuff that plays over it, it’s indescribable. But I’ll try anyways. A sample play list:
  • “409” by the Beach Boys. This song is cool with me, it reminds me of two things: The cleaner we had to use to wipe the conveyor belt thing at the cash register at my first job, I liked the smell of the cleaner, which is the only thing I liked about the job; and Dave Barry. Barry, my humor-writing-hero, talks about Beach Boys songs in his work and if I had a specific example I’d share it, but I don’t.
  • Okay, some song something about “Barbara I Love You”, which I Googled and seems to be by Ringo Starr? When I looked at the page to look at the lyrics I was distracted by a box that said “Take the Miley Cyrus Quiz!” Yikes! Not going there.
  • “All Day and All of the Night” by The Kinks. Wasn’t this in a Jolly Rancher commercial? When I hear the song I picture this giant watermelon…huh. While actually listening to the lyrics I became a little creeped out: “I believe that you and me last forever/Oh yeah, all day and night/I'm yours, leave me never/The only time I feel alright is by your side/Girl, I want to be with you all of the time/All day and all of the night/All day and all of the night time/All day and all of the night.” See what I mean? This guy needs therapy for his co-dependency, if you ask me.
  • “Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows” by Lesley Gore. Again, when you listen to these lyrics, which in this case remind me of an episode of the Simpsons (Do I have them on the brain or what?), they are very, very odd: “Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, Everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way 'Cause you're in love, you're in love, And love is here to stay!” Hmm, this chick should date the guy from The Kinks, ‘cause if they were together all day and all night; that would be a helluva lot of sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.
  • As a side note, when I was looking up the lyrics to the above song I noticed there are lots of songs with the word “lollipop” in them. And some of them are not so family-friendly. Some of them used "lollipop" in a way that did not mean lollipop and may have even made me blush.

    The music over the PA goes on and on, all day, and all of the night, it's the only thing that makes me feel alright.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love this post. That's all I have to say.